City of LA City Services Directory GSD Home What's New! Bids Directory of Public GSD Services
Office of Public Safety
Building Maintenance Construction Forces Executive Division Facility Services Finance & Special Operations Fleet Services Fuel Services & Env. Compliance Mail Services Management Information Services Office of Public Safety Parking Services Personnel Services Publishing Services Real Estate ServicesStandards Supply Services

I am visiting City Hall, am I required to identify myself before entering?

Visitors are not required to show identification but may be denied entry to area’s of City buildings that are not open to the public. All visitors are subject to a weapons screening, and need to check in at the security desk before being admitted to City Hall and other designated areas.

If I am visiting the Civic Center, where can I park?

Several public parking lots are available including a lot under the Los Angeles mall. Additional parking lots on nearby surrounding streets and metered parking may also be utilized. Be aware that each lot charges a different rate for usage and when using street parking, pay close attention to posted signs.

Can Security Officers write parking citations?

Security Officers employed by the Department of General Services are authorized to issue parking citations.

Do General Services Police Officers have the same authority as L.A.P.D. or other municipal Police Officers?

Police Officers employed by General Services are not affiliated with the Los Angeles Police Department, but have the same police powers as any other police officer in the state, capable of issuing traffic citations, making arrests and performing other peace officer functions.

What and who is my senior lead officer?

A senior lead officer (SLO) is an officer in charge of one of the seven District patrol areas in the City. Senior lead officers provide a link that helps unite the GSPD with the City employees and residents of the communities it serves. They are responsible for monitoring crime trends in and around City facilities, working with LAPD and other City departments, and acting as liaisons to stay informed of crime trends and special problems within their area. To view the SLO in your area go to the Contacts page.

How can I contest a traffic citation?

A person who receives a traffic citation may contest it by going to the court he/she is cited to (listed on the citation) and posting bail (paying the amount of the citation). After the person has posted bail, the court clerk will assign a court date. On the specified date, the person will be able to plead his/her case before a judge and question the officer. If the judge rules in the person’s favor, the bail they posted will be refunded. Additional information can be obtained by calling the Los Angeles Municipal Court Traffic Information and Payment Center at 213-742-1884.
Los Angeles Superior Court - Traffic Violation Information

I lost my traffic citation - What do I do?

If you lost your traffic citation, you need to contact the courts for information to resolve your ticket. You can obtain court information by visiting the Los Angeles Superior Court Traffic Violation Information website.

How can I contest a parking violation?

A person can contest a parking violation by calling the Parking Violation Bureau, Department of Transportation, at 213-623-6533. A recorded phone message provides concise instructions on how to contest the parking citation. All of the recorded instructions must be followed exactly, and within the allotted time period, otherwise, the application for a hearing will be forfeited. Do not bring your parking citation to GSPD stations. There is additional information online at

I lost my parking violation - What do I do?

Attached to your parking violation is an envelope to mail your parking violation. If you have lost your parking violation, you need to contact the Parking Violation Bureau, Department of Transportation. There is additional information online at

How can I get my car out of impound?

If a person’s vehicle is impounded under a 30-day hold, they must wait until the 30-day period is over prior to requesting a release. After the 30-day period has passed, the registered owner must go to the Area auto detectives to obtain a release for the vehicle (releases are only given to the registered owner/s). If the registered owner does not have a valid California driver’s license, he/she must bring along a person who possesses a valid California driver’s license. If a person’s vehicle is impounded as a vehicle forfeiture, and the vehicle is owned by more than one person, the other owner (owner from whom the vehicle was not taken) should refer to the information contained in the Notice of Forfeiture Letter that they will receive by certified mail, to obtain a release.

How can I find out if my vehicle has been towed?

A person may call his or her local police station and give the vehicle license plate number to the desk officer. The desk officer will run the status of the vehicle and will inform the person whether or not their vehicle has been impounded.

How can I report a hate crime?

Hate crimes are very serious and traumatic incidents. It is important for citizens to remember that when these crimes are occurring, they should be reported to the police immediately by telephoning 911. When a citizen finds that he or she has been a victim of a hate crime, and it is not an immediate life-threatening emergency, he or she should phone their local community police station and report the crime. Once the hate crime is reported to a local community police station, a police officer will be able to provide information on private or governmental agencies that can provide support for victims.

How can I report child abuse occurring at a park, library or other City Facility?

Call our 24 hour dispatch at (213) 978-4670 or your local police department or social services department. In the Los Angeles area, the phone number is (800) 540-4000.

How can I report elder abuse at a Senior Citizen Center or other City Facility?

Call our 24 hour dispatch at (213) 978-4670 or your local police department or social services department. The serious nature of the problem of elder and dependent adult abuse, coupled with the increasing numbers of reports of such abuse, has made it vital that the Los Angeles County Community and Senior Services and law enforcement work closely together to provide a meaningful response to abuse reports.

How can I get a copy of a police report?

To request a copy of a crime or internal report, you complete a request for documents form and forward it to Administrative Records Section. You can only receive a crime report if you are an authorized person such as the victim, the victim’s representative, or as provided in Section 6254 of the Government Code.

What time do City Parks close?

By ordinance, Los Angeles City parks are open to the public from 5:00 a.m. until 10:30 p.m., unless otherwise posted. Several parks or designated areas have been authorized for early closure at sunset. Each park location is posted with the closure times as well as other regulated activity. You can view the individual Recreation Center hours by going to:


Index OPS Home Chief's Message Station Locations History Field Operations Oversight Committee Professional Standards Security Technology Administration Contract Security Liaison Support Staff FAQ Recruitment Contact Information